Construction Project Manager
£38,969 - £43,300
25th October 2020
About The Role
We now have an excellent and exciting opportunity for an ambitious Construction Project Manager to join our Capital Development Programme team. Based at our Harwell Campus, the role will be supporting the delivery of a portfolio of significant construction projects worth circa £250m over 5 years, developing new state of the art scientific facilities of national and international importance.
Reporting to a Senior Project Manager (SPM) you will be responsible for managing the STFC delivery of significant and complex construction projects. The post holder will manage the interface between the ‘client’ (user) team and the design team, appointed consultants and main contractor(s).
Working closely with the SPM, you will be the Estates lead on major projects through all RIBA stages ensuring schemes deliver on budget and program.
Working within a team, you will be expected to manage schemes typically in the region of £5m - 50m, but could include managing a significant portfolio of lower value works. The nature of STFC’s science dictates that most major projects are likely to be complex and unique and will require you to ensure scientific goals are achieved whilst maintaining control of budget and programme constraints, delivering maintainable and resilient buildings. STFC major projects are usually delivered at pace and require robust decision making and leadership from the project manager.
Other key responsibilities include:
* Implementing the project management framework (end 2 end process) and delivering project assurance. Review dates need to be planned, agreed and communicated to stakeholders.
* Assisting in the preparation of complex and significant contract documentation, in conjunction and liaison with UKSBS and STFC procurement
* Maintaining the project briefs’ alignment with the business case and execution strategy, challenging senior stakeholders when necessary. Ensuring interim benefits are achieved and end state benefits are realised or assigned.
* Financial management and project delivery within agreed levels of delegation and project governance.
* Assisting with the establishment of a technical design authority – either internal or external. Managing the appraisal of priced design options and submitting professional recommendations to the Project Management Board for formal governance approval, where appropriate.
* The establishment and maintenance of a quality/project execution plan, setting out how all aspects of quality will be assured through the project lifecycle.
* Planning, securing and managing resources and expertise from STFC Business As Usual (BAU) teams (FM, ICT, SHE, operational) as required. Including user requirements, design validation,
* Assist in the preparation of board papers and decision papers, as required.
* Provide line management to assistant project managers, and project support team members, as required, and general management of the wider project team’s performance to agreed scopes of services.
* Be the Estates lead in user groups to ensure that the project deliverables meet the requirements of the end use, and compliment the STFC Estates strategy, Standard Specifications and delivery plan.
* Manage the delivery of Government Soft Landings.
Working in conjunction with other Capital Development Team members and external consultants, you will be responsible for ensuring positive project outcomes for our scientific user community, demonstrating high levels of technical excellence, together with strong commercial acumen in order to derive best value solutions.
* You will hold a construction related degree, or equivalent and hold, or working towards, chartered membership status of an appropriate institution i.E. RICS, RIBA, CEng, IOB, APM etc. or alternatively, demonstrate equivalent experience.
* Experience of construction projects and associated programme management through establishing appropriate project governance, planning, compliant procurements and auditable systems such as NEC3/4 contracts.
* Excellent knowledge and significant experience in implementing project/programme management and value engineering processes.
* Successfully managing high value (£multi-M) complex building project programmes to time, cost and quality.
* Knowledge and experience of managing the design and development of significant new build projects, preferably on scientific facilities.
* Embedding a culture of Health and Safety and sustainability awareness and adoption of best practice principles.
* A knowledge of the different forms of construction, the pros and cons associated with their use and how these perform in use.
* Experience of government change programmes within a fast-paced, high profile environment.
* Experience of working with central and local government and other statutory authorities to gain approvals such as Town Planning, Building Control, HSE etc.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
* Good knowledge and experience in implementing Project/programme management processes
* Construction related degree qualification (or equivalent), and/or working towards Chartered status in a building related professional discipline RICS/RIBA/CEng, IOB or APM
* Experience in the management of high value project and programme delivery through establishing appropriate project governance, planning, compliant procurements and auditable systems such as NEC contracts.
* A knowledge of the different forms of construction, the advantages and disadvantages associated with their use and how these perform in use
* Good understanding of project planning using Primavera, MS Project or similar software package
* Experience in the management of high value (£multi-M) complex building project programmes to time, cost and quality
* A strong understanding of Health and Safety, sustainability and adoption of best practice principles
* Commercial awareness.
* Client-side leadership
* Public Sector experience
* Understanding of the regulatory frameworks that exist for scientific establishments
* Understanding and experience in whole lifecycle costing.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aims to provide a pay and reward package that motivates staff to the best of their ability. The reward and benefit package includes a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
We are committed to developing employees in their roles throughout their career. Learning and development plans enable employees to continue their professional development through training and development opportunities such as e-learning, classroom training and on-the-job experiences. We encourage our employees to share their learning across teams and organisations.
We strive to make decisions based on individual merit and ability. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and promote equality of opportunity in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. As holders of Disability Confident Employer status, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
As this job does not fulfil the Home Office Code of Practice criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK.
Online applications only. Please submit a covering letter and CV ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Please note that failure to address the above criteria or submitted without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.G. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "
button. If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.