Corporate Tax Manager
KPMG Overview Joining KPMG means joining a talented team of exceptional colleagues who bring innovative thoughts and a natural curiosity to the work they do each day. No one type of person succeeds at KPMG;
a diverse business requires diverse personalities, characters and perspectives. There really is a place for you here. Department Information We are the in-house tax team for KPMG International (“KPMGI”). This is a unique opportunity to work in an internal rather than client-facing KPMG team. KPMGI carries on business activities for the overall benefit of KPMG network firms, but does not provide professional services to clients. One of the main purposes of KPMGI is to facilitate the provision by KPMG network firms of high-quality Audit, Tax, and Advisory services to their clients. For example, KPMGI establishes and facilitates the implementation and maintenance of uniform policies and standards of work and conduct by the KPMG network firms, and protects and enhances the use of the KPMG name and brand for the benefit of these entities. The team works on a wide and varied range of tax matters across direct and indirect tax. Some of the work is UK focused, but much of the work is international, dealing with a variety of jurisdictions outside the UK. We drive the tax strategy, which means understanding KPMGI’s business requirements and interacting with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to provide tax advice and ensure that tax obligations are met around the world. The work is varied and we operate in a challenging and stimulating environment. Like many in-house tax teams, KPMGI outsources its compliance and also appoints advisors to assist on specific projects. Where we use outside advisors, the tax team is responsible for actively managing the advisors, scoping their work, agreeing their fees, receiving and reviewing output and communicating findings and action points to the business. Role and Responsibilities We are looking for a full time manager who will be based in Canary Wharf, London. There is minimal travel required. The role reports into a London based Tax Director, with the Head of Tax based in the US. Other than the Head of Tax, all of the in-house direct and indirect tax team are based in London. The successful applicant will demonstrate an entrepreneurial attitude by working on and helping to run a portfolio of advisory and compliance projects. You will enjoy working in a dynamic, fast changing environment and relish a role which is constantly changing according to the needs of the business and the requirements of the KPMG network firms globally. We are a close knit team and you will receive guidance and support from other team members to develop and grow. Typically, projects involve interaction with other teams within KPMG International (e.G. commercial, legal, finance) and with the tax team at the relevant KPMG member firm, and might include:
- Helping to assess the corporate tax obligations in various territories and coordinating with the finance team and local tax advisors in order to fulfil these obligations.
- Understanding the changing business activities and helping to advise on proposed restructuring steps, including understanding the accounting position and providing input into legal documentation.
- Understanding the business model for any new services to be provided and coordinating with the business and legal teams, and in some cases, other KPMG member firms, in order to recommend and implement an appropriate operating structure.
- Taking responsibility for organising the team’s training programme.
- Liaising with KPMG Member Firm’s in-house tax teams on the tax treatment of their transactions with KPMGI.
- Monitoring the implementation of significant tax legislative changes around the world (e.G. BEPS) and assessing its impact on KPMGI’s tax position.
- Being responsible for tax compliance filings in a number of different jurisdictions, including overseeing the gathering of information and managing advisors.
- Dealing with enquiries from local tax authorities.
- You will also be responsible for mentoring and coaching junior staff. Qualifications and Skills Qualified CTA or equivalent, with a corporate tax background and experience in industry. Some indirect tax experience preferred but not essential. Experience and Background - High level of drive and enthusiasm and a willingness to learn about new taxes.
- Enjoy working with individuals from diverse backgrounds around the world, and good at quickly building different networks according to the demands of each project.
- Passionate about developing an exceptionally performing team.
- Strong project management skills;
comfortable in dealing with issues crossing over multiple taxes and multiple jurisdictions, and a practical approach to resolving issues and providing advice.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels (internally and externally) both in writing and orally, with tax specialists and non-tax specialists, in the UK and overseas.
- Ability to identify and evaluate risk issues and know when to involve others. Must be a team worker.
- Strong UK and international tax knowledge and experience - Comfortable with reviewing overseas tax calculations (based on advice from local advisers), experience with understanding and interpreting financial statements and accounting data.